The top of this page

現在位置 :  トップページ > サイトについて >  Languages >  English >  Registering a Divorce


Registering a Divorce

If your spouse is a Japanese, you can register a divorce either at the city office or the city where the spouse's family register is kept. If both of you are foreign citizens, please register your divorce at the city office.

In the case of a divorce by consent

You and your spouse are required to register the divorce with the signatures or the seals of two adult witnesses. Also, a certified copy of family register or marriage certificate, translation of each document in Japanese and a Certificate of Alien Registration are imperative.

In the case of a judicial divorce

As for the required documents on registering a judicial divorce at the city office, please consult the Citizens National Health Insurance and Pension Division.

Even if you can register your divorce at the city office, there is a case your legal action in Japan is invalid in your country. Please contact the embassy or local consulate of your country for specific procedures.


Okayama City
Address:1-1-1Daiku Kita-ku Okayama-shi Okayama 700-8544[map